Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Dancing Muppets and Childhood Muppet Memories

I love the Muppets.  I have loved them for as long as I can remember.  There were only a few shows I can remember my family watching all together.  MacGyver and The Muppet Show are two that really stand out.  Looking back, I realize that we didn't watch that much tv.  We heard the words, "Go outside and play" on a regular basis.  My peanut isn't old enough for that yet, but it has been pretty easy to limit her tv consumption.  She is just a busy little bee, for the most part she would rather play and run around than sit and watch tv.  Which is just fine with me! Recently she has started to show interest in certain things on tv, mainly Cinderella.  She can also identify Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and Miss Piggy.  She still calls Kermit "Frog".  She is turning two, and generally only watches 5-15 minutes of tv at a time.  I will watch Danicing with the Stars when she's around, as it is generally good clean fun.  She loves music and will dance along to the fast numbers.  Of course, she also thinks that all the female dancers are Cinderella.  I watch it on our DVR, and last week it took me a long time to get through it, I was watching it in 15 - 30 minute chunks.  (side note - I like to DVR this one because I can fast forward through most of the filler content, especially in the results show).  Peanut has also seen a few episodes of the Muppet Show on dvd, and is captivated by Miss Piggy right now.  Last week, she kept asking, "Piggy, Dancin'?" She made it very clear that she wanted Miss Piggy to appear on Dancing with the Stars.  I kept trying to explain that they were on two separate shows and that I do not have the magical powers necessary to make Miss Piggy appear on DWTS.  She shook her head at me each time and repeated, "Miss Piggy, Dancin'!" On Friday, I heard a teaser for this week's DWTS - and the Muppets are going to be on DWTS this week!  I must admit, I'm a little freaked out by this - she fished her wish!  Though it shouldn't be too surprising, since the movie comes out this week and ABC is a Disney property.  Yet the thought never crossed my mind.  Maybe my two year old has a future in marketing, as she drew this logical conclusion with no prompting.  There is no way she saw an ad for it or heard anything about it before the teaser I heard.  She just wanted to see Miss Piggy on DWTS.  Two of her favorite things, joined together.  It sounds like the Muppets will be dancing to a new song from the movie.  I am like a little kid, I can't wait to see it!

On the subject of The Muppets (the movie), I am hoping it lives up to the hype.  I did enjoy Muppets from Space, but for the most part, the Muppets have really just not been the same for me since Jim Henson passed away.  I am optimistic that this movie will bring a return to the Muppets I knew and loved growing up.  Now I just have to find a way to sneak out of my house to see it in the theater...I'm guessing other moviegoers wouldn't want to sit next to a very active two year old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment